Motor Vehicle Registration
Our Motor Vehicle Division assists Arapahoe County residents to register vehicles and get license plates and placards at four DMV office locations.
Please note that our office hours are 7 a.m. - 4 p.m. for Motor Vehicle title and registration services. See our Wait Times to plan your visit. We will be CLOSED August 1-3 for a statewide computer system upgrade.
Visit any of our four branch office locations to:
- Register a vehicle or renew plates
- Get license plates or temporary tags
- Apply for a vehicle title
- Get a VIN verification to register an out-of-state vehicle
- Apply for Persons with Disability placard or license plates
- NEW! Book an appointment for disability placards or plates
- Change of address for vehicles currently registered in Arapahoe County
When to Register a Vehicle
All residents must register their vehicles within 60 days of purchase, and/or within 90 days of becoming a resident of Colorado.
If you have financed a vehicle through a lender/bank or dealership, please allow up to 60 days after purchase before coming in to register the vehicle. This time is required for the dealer and the County to process your title documents. We will send a courtesy Title Complete postcard when your vehicle can be registered. Please contact us at 303-795-4500 if you have not received the Title Complete Card within 55 days.
Where to Register a Vehicle
You must register your vehicle in the county where you reside. If you do not reside in Arapahoe County, see DMV locations in other counties. If you do not know what county you live in, please use our Address Lookup.
Initial registrations must be done in-person at a county motor vehicle office. At least one named owner is required to be present to register a vehicle. If the owner is not available, then someone else may register the vehicle on their behalf with a signed and notarized Power of Attorney form.
Annual renewals may be done in-person, by mail, online or using our drop-off boxes at any branch. A named owner does not need to be present to renew. We send a courtesy renewal notice in the mail to customers; however, timely renewal of your registration is your responsibility.
What to Bring
- Secure and Verifiable Identification
- Proof of Colorado Auto Insurance on vehicle to be registered
- Vehicle Title or "Title Complete Card" for a new registration
- Proof of Emissions, if applicable
- VIN Verification, if applicable
- Form of Payment: Credit Card, Debit Card, Cash, Check or Money Order
- Signed and notarized Power of Attorney Form if the vehicle will be registered by someone who is not a named owner
Taxes and Fees
The cost to register vehicles in the State of Colorado is based on age of the vehicle, weight, taxable value, purchase date, and type of license plate requested.
- How much will it cost to register my vehicle?
- Do I need an emission test to register/renew my vehicle?
- My temporary tags will be expiring soon. Can I come in and get license plates?
- I purchased a vehicle or moved my vehicle from another state. What do I need to register my vehicle?
- Do I have to bring proof of insurance to register, renew or obtain a temporary registration?
- I renewed my vehicle registration online but did not receive my tabs in the mail. Can I get replacement tabs?
- My registration receipt, validating stickers (tabs) and/or license plates were lost or stolen. What do I do?
- I just moved to Arapahoe County or within Arapahoe County. How can I change my address on my motor vehicle registration?
- Can I get a credit for registration fees already paid when I sell my vehicle and register a new one?
- Can I obtain a temporary registration instead of renewing a registration for a vehicle that I intend to sell?
- I just moved out of Arapahoe County. Do I still need to renew my vehicle in Arapahoe County?
- I just purchased a new car from a dealership and it is financed. What do I do now?
- Can I renew my registration over the phone?
- How do I apply for a Persons with Disabilities parking placard or license plate?
- Can I renew my registration online?
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- How much did I pay in ownership tax?
- What is the sales tax rate for my address?
- How do I determine the MSRP of my vehicle?
- How do I obtain a Certificate of Title for a vehicle I purchased if there is no Certificate of Title in existence?
- I am unable to locate my Colorado Certificate of Title. How do I obtain a duplicate title?
- I am unable to locate my Certificate of Title that was issued in a different state.
Renew at a Kiosk
|Skip the wait at the DMV and renew your vehicle registration at any one of 20 fast, easy kiosks around Colorado! You'll walk away with your tabs in minutes. Saturday hours available!
|Appointments are now available for Persons with Disability Placards or License Plates as a convenience. Book an appointment!
| Renew Plates, Change Address or Get Fee Estimate Online
|Go online to change your address on your vehicle registration, renew your license plates or get a registration fee estimate. We doprovide these services by phone.|